Posts Categorised: SportFishing Techniques
Bass fishing has a fascinating history. It started in the late 18th century and continues to progress until today.
It probably was originally practiced in search for food among the people in the south of the United States. Since then, it has started gaining numerous audiences of all ages and nations. Today, countries such as Australia, Cuba, South Africa, United States and most of Europe participate in this kind of event.
• The year 1768 or 1770 represents the birth of bass fishing sports. Onesimus Ustonson introduced his first multiplying reels to the fishing gurus and lovers. It was later developed into bait caster.
• William Shakespeare Jr. materializes the production of a level wind device and secured its patent on 1897.
• The William J. Jamison Co introduced the overly ornamented Shannon Twin Spinner in 1915 and was improved to create today’s spinner baits.
• In 1932, President Franklin D. Roosevelt instituted the creation of Tennessee Valley Authority and encouraged the creation and building of numerous dams. These dams were later used for culturing different varieties of bass fishes.
• Five years later, DuPont Company filed patent for nylon fishing net, this was later developed into nylon monofilament fishing line.
• The year 1992 is one of the most glorious events in the history of bass fishing. Larry Nixon, the famous fisherman in the history of bass fishing won $1 M total earnings for this sport on this year.
Several fish species that are being caught in the bass fishing events are the following:
• Micropterus salmoides (Lacepede) – Largemouth Bass
• Micropterus dolomieui – Smallmouth bass
• Micropterus punctatus – Kentucky Bass
Other species of Micropterus are also caught but one that remains popular is the Largemouth bass. However, it should be emphasized that Australian Bass are different from the above North American Bass variants although most share similar features.
Perhaps, the most robust success of Bass Fishing was in the 1950s. The popularity of the game during this period is the springboard to the development of modern fishing equipments from bass boats, rods, lines, lures and various fishing gears.
Electronic gears were also incorporated among the host of equipments bass fishers used at that time. Reels of different types, which function in hauling and hoisting, were also created.
The contribution of bass fishing industry to the US economy records $50 to $70 Billion and the number continues to grow. Statistics show that the audience base of this sport is increasing and that more and more people are getting interested in it compared to tennis and golf.
There will always be challenges whether one decides to fish either in the river or in the open sea. The important thing to remember is to have patience waiting for the fish and doing your best to catch it when it appears.
To be able to fish, a person needs to get a fishing license since this is a requirement by law and the regulations regarding fishing varies from one state to the other.
The first thing one needs for salt water fishing is a boat. It can range from a simple row boat to a yacht. The size of this vessel depends on how many people will join the trip.
For people who will do it in-shore, a 15 foot sailboat that comes with a cuddy forward to serve as a shelter when it rains should do the job. The boat should not be heavy and yet adequately sturdy to not be swayed by the action of strong waves or some bumps on the beach or on the rocks.
One should always try the edges of the perimeter first instead of plopping bait or lure in the middle. This is because it will scare the other fish away. By going through the sides first, one will have a better chance of catching unsuspecting fish in the middle.
If one decides to go “down below” some time, a cod-line is a necessity for everybody to enjoy saltwater fishing. A perch-line will also be good and if it’s time for mackerel fishing, a mackerel jig will be an excellent help.
The right time to start salt water fishing is on the ebb tide. This should be during an early time of the morning to ensure that the trip will be a productive one. This will put the tide in one’s favor and if the wind is light or not fair, this will also help in going home quickly.
The best place to start fishing is going to a fishing ground that is well known to the locals.
Many anglers who are too impatient move from one spot to another which at times make these people miss a hotspot further decreasing the chances of catching fish. It is advisable to cast out a couple of times before moving on using different types of bait. This should be done from the shallowest to the deepest point.
Sharks in the area can disrupt people from catching fish. By pouring some fish blood on a paper towel or newspaper and rolling it into a ball then casting it overboard, sharks will follow the current and leave the area increasing the chances of catching fish.
Deep sea fishing is a wonderful and extremely enjoyable activity. Here are some tips that will make your salt water fishing adventure even better.
1. Watch the signs
If you see birds e.g. Seagulls that are feasting on small bait-type fishes, there are probably larger game-type fish below the surface of the water. Also, look for floating wood or debris. In most cases when you chance upon a large floating wood, you would find a large game fish in the area even encountering dolphin.
2. Stop, Snook and Listen
Fishing for snooks is quite similar as fishing for bass. Snooks like to be around ledges, posts and rocks.
3. Crabs for full moon
During full moons use soft crab imitations as bait. That’s the time when crabs shed their shells and stripers come looking for them.
4. If you’re looking for tunas, find the dolphins
Yellowfin tuna are usually found schooling with dolphins. So if you see a group of dolphins, chances are there are some tuna in the area.
5. Cut and Burn
If you have trouble cutting through a spiderwire braid, try using a lighter or a match.
6. Good Reef
The best place to fish is near reefs since big game fish feed on fish that live on reefs.
7. The Circle Hook
Use a circle hook if you would like a higher hook up ratio. These hooks guarantees more catch, because of the minute gap, and the reverse point. They are generally better for the fish since they do not hook in the gut just the lip.
8. Don’t have sea legs
Watch the horizon and stay on deck. These would generally help you if you’re having trouble with sea sickness: Stay away from the boat fumes, breathing it only exacerbates the problem.
9. Anchors away
When your anchor is stuck at the bottom, try attaching a float to it. Return after the tide has changed in direction. This should be enough to loosen the anchor.
10. Fish where the fish are
A lot of fisherman have the idea that they should be catching their live baits over the reefs before going to deep waters. If the live baits are not in the area you’re planning to catch the larger games, then why would you come up with the idea that the large fish are there. Wouldn’t they be in the area where the bait fish are?
Also known as Bow fishing, this is a sport wherein a fisherman uses archery equipment to fish.
A regular hunting bow can be used for fishing by simply attaching a reel to the front of the bow grip.
Archery fishing is especially favored by regular hunters when regular game like deer are off season. This way they can continuously hone their skills for whatever season it may be.
Before engaging in archery fishing, one must first take into consideration the following:
1. A fisherman must be duly licensed. Some states require that an individual have a state license to fish.
2. Equipment. Most states have a predetermined set of approved equipment for archery fishing.
3. Archery Safety Course. Still, some states require that an individual go through an approved safety course for archery fishing to ensure that the individual is well versed with the proper safety precautions and information regarding applicable laws in fishing.
4. Seasons. Bow fishing in some states can only be done in certain seasons. This is to allow the fish to spawn.
5. Species of fish. Some states have rules forbidding archery fishing for some species of fish.
The following skills are necessary for an individual to obtain and practice:
Knot tying. Though it may seem like a simple task, tying knots that will not slip (line for the arrow) are crucial in bow fishing.
Tuning. Tuning is making sure that the bow is at its best working condition. To ensure this, one has to continuously adjust the rest and calibrate the nock.
For a faster tuning process, one may shoot a regular bow-fishing arrow (without the tip) onto a target made of cardboard.
Marksmanship or targeting. Bow fishing and bow hunting, though similar on some aspects, really do differ on many things. Arrows for bow fishing are heavier, have larger arrow tips and, the most obvious one, has a string attached to the arrow.
And since fish are shot in the water, resistance differs as when compared to shooting in the air (for bow hunting of games)
There are various methods or ways of archery fishing. This includes the following:
1. Still hunting. A fisherman selects a place by the lake in which he would wait for passing fish to shoot its bow at.
2. Stalking. This can be done on foot or while on a boat. One is in constant motion in an attempt to locate fish.
3. Ambush. Fish that are best ambushed are the ones that are spawning since they tend to crowd thus increasing chances of target.
The opportunity to be on a boat ready to catch fish, enjoying the beautiful scenery, and the camaraderie with the crew of the boat is the best experience in fishing you can find. Here are some helpful tips to enjoy fishing.
1. Choose a boat wisely. A boat that meets your needs and your goal on what to do with the fish you catch are the things to consider when choosing a boat for Hawaii Fishing Trips.
2. Choose the appropriate Island in Hawaii that meets your desired duration of the Fishing trip. For shorter trips, choose an Island in Hawaii that has deep water right near shore. These islands are ideal for shorter trips in fishing where catching fish won’t take long.
3. Consider bringing tackle, bait, ice and fresh water. Confirm with the boat company if they will provide these items. Tackle is a set of pulleys and ropes assembled to facilitate the mechanisms for hoisting and pulling. Bait is for luring the fish. Ice is for keeping the catch fish fresh during the trip. Fresh water is for thirst quencher during the fishing trip.
4. Wear comfortable clothes that are suited for a hot summer day. T-shirts and shorts are the best pair of clothes to wear in fishing. An extra T-shirt will also be useful.
5. Consider bringing a baseball style cap for shading. This is effective in shielding the hot rays of the sun during the fishing trip.
6. Bring polarized sunglasses to see the fish in the water.
7. Closed toe boating shoes are highly recommended to use. They are made for keeping the feet from slipping when action gets good.
8. Bring food and drinks if the boat company won’t provide these items. Cans are better than glass for drinks. Chips like Cheetos and Doritos for snacks seem to go well at sea.
9. Don’t forget to bring medicine for seasickness. To minimize feeling seasick, take an 8-hour sleep before the fishing trip. Being fully awake and active before the boat leaves the dock will help prevent from feeling seasick all through out the fishing trip.
10. Eat a full meal at dinner and a light breakfast before the trip.
11. Don’t forget to bring sunscreen. Sunscreen with SPF of 30 or higher is highly recommended to protect the skin from the harmful UV Rays of the sun.
12. Decide before the trip on how to get at the harbor for the fishing trip in the morning. Either choose to take a cab or rent a car.
Using these tips will go a long way towards having an enjoyable day of fishing.
There are thousands of live-bait anglers, who are excellent sportsmen, but the fly fisherman can practice better conservation from the beginning.
Basically, fly fishing is not only one of the fastest growing sports; it is one of the foremost forms of conserving natural resources as well as providing aquatic recreation.
Fly fishing is, very simple when three things are right: you must have a suitable rod; you must get a line to match it; and you must learn correct casting technique.
For people who wish to know some tips on fly fishing, here is a list of some pointers that could help anglers harness their fly fishing skills:
1. Material of the rod
For one of moderate means, and especially for the beginners, hollow glass is advised since it will require less care than bamboo and will not take a set if improperly handled or stored.
Your fly casting skill will not progress with a mismatched rod and line. About 99 times in 100, the troubled fly caster has a line much too light to bring out the action of his rod.
That is why it is important to know that on any given rod, the fly fisherman should use the same size line for anything from small trout and bluegills up to the largest sea fish.
In choosing the size line, anglers should get a C level, an HCH double-taper, or a GBF three-diameter. This choice is based on the fact that a high percentage of fly rods bought nowadays are hollow glass, and that a great majority of these works best with lines of those sizes, almost regardless of lengths or weights.
3. The correct casting technique
In casting, it is important to get about 20 feet of line out front. Anglers should always remember to cast a straight line. Avoid jerky movements even if it is on a faster mode in order to do so.
Best of all, the angler should be relaxed because taunt muscles will ruin his casting.
Boiled down, there should be no reason why you should not learn the fundamental principles just as easily as those who now enjoy fly fishing.
Probably, the best and surest way to learn to cast successfully is to spend a day on the stream with some fisherman who is a competent caster.
Lessons learned on the stream are the best tips you can acquire anywhere in your quest for learning fly fishing.
- Bass fishing has a fascinating history. It started in the late 18th century and continues to progress until today. It probably was originally Read moreRods are basically made from carbon. Plastic, composite carbon combined with Kevlar, which is a kind of material that is bullet proof, or just Read moreBeing surrounded by nature’s beauty can be fun. One can do it at the beach, in a luxury resort or just traveling out of town. Fishing is another Read more